When the news broke of President George H.W. Bush’s death the other night, I was sitting on the couch with my wife. I remember a sense of sadness and remorse as we sat there watching the news report on this life and many accomplishments. Watching the news this week has brought back fond memories of 41 for me. With this short article, I just want to add my remembrance to a superb man and a great president.
The first election I ever voted in was when he lost his re-election bid in 1992. I remember I was a freshman college student at Scottsdale Community College. Although I thought his re-election campaign was well done, it was not to be this time around. He did go on to do many great things for our country after his years of service as Vice-President and President and I am so grateful for the things he did accomplish.
To honor this man in my own way, knowing that he would not be around much longer, on our honeymoon, my wife and I visited Kennebunkport, Maine in hopes to see the Bush Compound. Although we made it to the outside of the estate, it was difficult to see since the entire area was incased in the marine layer that had not quite burned off. We did walk around the town a bit and witnessed in many of the stores dedications and make shift shrines to the Bush Family, especially President Bush and First Lady Barbara Bush. Although we were unable to see the actual estate, it was still great to go to Kennebunkport.
To conclude today’s article, I would like to share 5 quotes from the late President that make me proud to be an American –
1. “This is America … a brilliant diversity spread like stars, like a thousand points of light in a broad and peaceful sky.”
2. “America is never wholly herself unless she is engaged in high moral principle. We as a people have such a purpose today. It is to make kinder the face of the nation and gentler the face of the world.”
3. “We don’t want an America that is closed to the world. What we want is a world that is open to America.”
4. “You cannot be President of the United States if you don’t have faith. Remember Lincoln, going to his knees in times of trial in the Civil War and all that stuff.”
5. “I will keep America moving forward, always forward, for a better America, for an endless enduring dream and a thousand Points of Light. This is my mission, and I will complete.”
Rest in Peace – President George H.W. Bush – a worthy servant and a noble man.
Note: I tried to add a picture from Wikipedia on here of the President but it was not permitted by WP Content.
Leave a Comment Below