Since today is the memorial of St. Martha, here are 6 things about her –
1. She lived in Bethany with her sister and brother, Mary and Lazarus.
2. She is the prototype of the busy housewife from the episode in Luke 10:38-40 –
Now as they went on their way, he entered a village; and a woman named Martha received him into her house. And she had a sister called Mary, who sat at the Lord’s feet and listened to his teaching. But Martha was distracted with much serving; and she went to him and said, “Lord, do you not care that my sister has left me to serve alone? Tell her then to help me.” But the Lord answered her, “Martha, Martha, you are anxious and troubled about many things; one thing is needful. Mary has chosen the good portion, which shall not be taken away from her.”
3. She shows her great faith in Jesus Christ because she believed that He would raise her brother from the dead.
4. Tradition states that after the Ascension of Jesus Christ, she traveled with her sister and brother to France; Lazarus became Bishop of Marseilles.
5. Her relics were found in 1187 at Tarascon and placed in a beautiful crypt.
6. She is the Patroness of Cooks.
St. Martha…Pray for Us.