Today, in the Roman Catholic Church, we celebrate the Memorial of the Blessed Virgin Mary, Mother of the Church. It is a very new memorial created by Pope Francis, which was first celebrated last year on the same day. It reflects Our Lady’s presence at Pentecost, which was yesterday, and her willingness to be the Mother of the Militant Church at the birth of the Church over 2000 years ago.
Although she became Our Mother at Foot of the Cross when Our Lord gives her to Saint John, this particular feast represents for us the importance of her witness and presence to the birth of the Church at Pentecost. For all time, Mary, the Ever-Blessed Virgin, would be our Mother, in sorts, our Mama, who is always pointing us and leading us to Jesus Christ and His Catholic Church. It is never about her, but it is always about leading us closer to Jesus.
Personally, I thank her every day for being my heavenly Mama and always looking out for me. As a mama, she knew through Our Lord’s will, the time when I needed to meet my wife. I thank her and Our Lord for sending me a woman that helps me be a better man every day of my life. Mama’s Mary love is so great for us that she knows and how to interact with us and give us what we seek, but only if it is part of the will of God through Jesus Christ.
I would imagine that many of you have similar stories when it comes to Our Lady as our Mother. I hope that you will share those in my comment section below. There is one group I know who has such a special relationship with Mama Mary – our older brothers and sisters in the Catholic faith – the Saints.
Below are 10 quotes from a wide range of Catholic saints speaking about Mary as Mother. I hope you enjoy them and share them with others.
1. “No one who shall invoke this Mother of Grace with devotion and perseverance can possibly perish forever.” – St. John Eudes
2. “He who is devout to the Virgin Mother will certainly never be lost.” – St. Ignatius of Loyola
3. “Mary was made Mother of God to obtain salvation for many who, on account of their wicked lives, could not be saved according to the rigor of Divine justice, but might be saved with the help of her sweet mercy and powerful intercession.” – St. John Chrysostom
4. “I therefore command all my Brothers, those living now and those to come in the future, to venerate the Holy Mother of God, who we always implore to be our Protectress…” – St. Francis of Assisi
5. “Always stay close to this Heavenly Mother, because she is the sea to be crossed to reach the shores of Eternal Splendour.” – St. Pio of Pitrelcina (Padre Pio)
6. “What a joy to remember that she [Mary] is our Mother! Since she loves us and knows our weakness, what have we to fear?” – St. Therese of Lisieux
7. “Let us not imagine that we obscure the glory of the Son by the great praise we lavish on the Mother; for the more she is honored, the greater is the glory of her Son. There can be no doubt that whatever we say in praise of the Mother gives equal praise to the Son.” – St. Bernard of Clairvaux
8. “Even while living in the world, the heart of Mary was so filled with motherly tenderness and compassion for men that no-one ever suffered so much for their own pains, as Mary suffered for the pains of her children.” – St. Jerome
9. “All true children of God have God for their father and Mary for his mother; anyone who does not have Mary for his mother, does not have God for his father.” – St. Louis Marie de Montfort
10. “Just as there is not one among all the Blessed who loves God as Mary does, so there is no one, after God, who loves us as much as this most loving Mother does. Furthermore, if we heaped together all the love that mothers have for their children, all the love of husbands and wives, all the love of all the angels and Saints for their clients, it could never equal Mary’s love for even a single soul.” – St. Alphonsus Ligouri
Blessed Virgin Mary, Mother of the Church…Pray for Us